Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Dear Blog

Fuh..yesterday was another tiring day of my life.Had the busiest day of the week. 9am-4pm class. I was so tired I didnt even had the guts to visit my dear blog. Sorry blog, had to ignore you for a day but now I am back. Yesterday was fun even tho' I was so damn tired. I met my Prince Charming [bak kata Jhaja]. Finally met him but the sad news is he's bold again.=( He had his hair last week tho and he looked so damn hot!Buat he's still the best looking guy evn tho' he doesn't have any hair *laugh* Anyway, I had fun with my class yesterday coz normally I would sleep the whole lecture. But yesterday was the best man! we talked about the indegeous people in Aoateroa/New Zealand. We were asked about who can claim theirself as a Maori and who can claim theirself as being a Maori as well as who can claim theirself as a Pakeha or being a Pakeha. That questions had make me think till this morning because when we had the debate yesterday, the issues weren't yet been solved. Being a Maori and a Maori have two different meaning. A Maori means you are the Maori that have a Maori descent from your ancestors but being a Maori means you are associates with the Maori itself [e.g relationship]. But the question is who can claim theirself a Maori or being a Maori? A person who has Maori blood but doesn't know the language, the culture what-so-ever still can be known as A Maori but for those who do not have the blood but know the knowledege, are they still consider as Maori or being a Maori? hm..Oh what about being a Pakeha or a Pakeha? Pakeha means you're the white people[European] that live/born in New Zealand and you're not associate with any of the Maoris. Being a Pakeha means you have connections [e.g relationship, grandparents, parents] with the European people here and do not have any connection with the Maori people. It's quite confusing aye? coz the explainations are similiar. But the word Pakeha was given from the Maori people, it means "Pake-Pakeha" which means someone with the fair skin. So not all of the people can claims themselves as a Pakeha even though they were born and educate here.

When I had this discussion yesterday, I have been thinking about my own roots as well. My mind had slipped a little bit from what I was supposed to discuss. I was thinking about my roots. My culture. About my own indegeous people in Malaysia. How many of them can claim themself as a malay, chinese, indian and what-so-over when they have forgotten about their own roots? I am not trying to raise any questions or point out finger or anything, but isnt it we have to know our own roots first before knowing other people roots? isn't it your identity is the one who shape your life? speaking of the identity, I have met few fellow Malaysian who have been brought here but never ever know their descendant or ancestors back home but have claimed themself as a Malaysian. But when I ask, do you know how to speak malay?, they replied " why should I learn the language? I'm not gonna use that language anyway, what is the point of learning it? ". "but you do claim yourself as a Malaysian but you do not speak the language, then why do you have to say you are malaysian anyway when you think the language is not important to you?isn't the language is important too? isn't the language is the thing that can identify you where do you come from? then what language you gonna use when you go back home? your grandparents would not want to speak other languages with you except your own language. It's funny how these days youngsters do not see how important is the mother tongue to them. The language that shape their culture. Without the languge, outsiders would not know where do you come from. They can claim themselves as Pakeha,Maori, European whatsover but what is important is your culture. That is more valuable than anythingelse. I wouldn't claim myself to be Javanese or Chinese or somethingelse, just because I have bits of bloods from each of the categories but I will claim myself as a pure malay because in this these days you will not find any of the purity of the ethnic groups anymore.All of them have been mixed with everything. So what is so proud with your own identity anyway? because that identity is the one that will shape the part of your life. That identity will show where do you come from and where you will be categorize in..and besides there is nothing wrong to know other cultures ae. Is just you have to knw your own roots first coz that is more important..hehehI love my culture heheh [proudly admit]is just in these times like this you tend to think something that you've never thought before..just a thought not to be offensive or something. we live in a free country where thoughts are counted~so do more thinking and who knows you mite learn something from it~~ 


No comments: